Apps4Finland 2012 in English
Apps4Finland is a competition where you can compete with ideas and functional web applications, widgets, mashups, mobile apps and other digital utilities that, make use of public data..
Apps4Finland 2012 categories, prizes and rules
There are five categories in the competition:
- Idea Category – Participate by sharing your ideas for how to use open data. You will help developers in finding interesting application and visualizing opportunities.
- Application Category – Participate by creating an application which uses open data.
- Visualisation Category – Participate by visualizing open data or present a datajournalism project.
- Data Category looks for competition entries which have made data more accessible. The entries can include new data sets or improvements to existing ones.
- Data Tutorial – Participate by creating a tutorial for using open data with some source code.
Submission period: from Aug 1, 2012 2.00 PM to Oct 28, 2012 3.00 PM
Judging period: from Oct 29, 2012 9.00 AM to Nov 30, 2012 5.00 PM
List of finalists released: Nov 23, 2012
Public voting period: from Oct 1, 2012 2.00 PM to Nov 30, 2012 5.00 PM
Winners Announcement: Dec 4, 2012 in Helsinki
In total, there are 20,000 euro worth of prizes. If we get more sponsors, there might be additional prizes.
|Idea Category||Applicaiton Category||Visualization Category||Data Category||Data Tutorial Category|
|1000€||3000€||2000€||Certificate of honour of open data for public sector institutions||1000€|
|500€||2000€||1000€||Private sector 1000€|
|300€||1000€||500€||Private sector 500€|
In addition to the regular categories, there are some special prizes:
- Maps4Finland A special prize of 1,000 € is granted to a geo information application or service. The award is given by National Land Survey of Finland.
- Stats4Finland A special prize of 1,000 € is granted to an application related to statistical data. The award is given by Statistics Finland.
- NewBiz4Finland A special special prize of 1,000 € is awarded for an innovative solutions which creates new business. The award is given by Logica.
Moreover, competitors of the Idea and Data Category have the chance to win 500 euros if they have contributed with their idea or data source to a winning entry in the Application Category.
Voting of entries can be done until November 30th 2012 on the Apps4Finland website. A 200 euro award will be granted to those with the most public votes.
- The competition is open for everybody.
- Entries for competition must be published during the year 2012.
- Competition entries which have already entered other competitions earlier in the year 2012 are still accepted.
- Entries should use open data from Finnish data sources. The web page Datakatalogi(in Finnish) contains a list of suitable data sources. If some essential data is missing from the list, please contact competition coordinators.
- Applications which have to be installed on mobile devices must be available through respective application stores at lates on the last submission day.
- Entries must be free for everybody to use and download during the competition and at least two months after the competition ends.
- All rights to the competition entry remain the property of the creator.
- Competitors of Idea or Opening of Data Categories are eligible for an additional prize of 500 euros on the following conditions:
- If it is possible to verify that the basic idea of the winning entry in Application category originates from an entry in Idea or Data Categories, the idea will be acknowledged. The competitor of the Application Category must confirm this.
- In unclear cases, the jury will decide whether the competitor participating in Idea or Data categories is eligible for the prize.
- If a competitor of the Idea Category participates in both the Application and Idea Category with the same original idea, this prize will not be granted.
- If a competitor of the Idea Category submits an entry in the Application Category which has the same original idea, the entry for the Idea Category will be rejected and only the entry for the Application Category will be accepted.
- We may define additional details to the rules of the competition, so please keep checking the rules every now and then.